During the Christmas time our tech team wasn’t idle (well, maybe a little;)). We wrote an e-mail to the Polish Air Navigation Services Agency concerning the flights of unmanned vehicles out of view. The answer we received was exhaustive and we are currently thinking about how to adapt our mission to the regulations. Thanks to the sponsors we were able to pick some top shelf parts to our stratospheric drone. We have finished the integration of subsystems of our probe and we installed them in the framework. Moreover, we improved the code so that logs from the mission are more legible. After the telemetry is added, our probe will be able to carry the biological material into the stratosphere.
Yesterday evening was certainly a tough one. Mrs. Marta Mąkosa, Jan Struziński and Michał Rembalski emmited light signals from the pier in Sopot with the light emitter. Adam Dąbrowski, Anna Rzepa, Mateusz Mazurkiewicz, Kamil Iwanowski and Adam Cichy were locating the light from the pier in Gdansk Brzezno with a telescope. Mrs. Agnieszka from the Gdansk University of Technology was helping us. We managed to locate the Sopot team and take pictures of the spectrum. We are very thankful to Mr. Adam and Mrs. Agnieszka for their help.
On the 24th of November our engineering team continued working on the bioreactor at the Institute of Oceanogrpahy. The coordinator of the “Tech team”, Jan Struziński, installed the targeted number of LED’s in the refrigerator whilst the programmers, Adam Cichy and Michał Rembalski modified the code made available to us by the University of Gdansk adding the possibility of changing the power of diodes to control their working time. A week later, on November 30th we finished assembling the hardware and performed a series of tests which resulted in a complete success.
The engineering team of our project is currently focused on the building of the bioreactor for the biological team. It will be used as a place for the biological material which will be launched into the atmosphere to develop. The work started on the 13th of November. We have already written the code and are currently collecting necessary parts.
On the 31st of October measurements of the spectrum of the flashlight used during the ground trials at the GSA observatory were taken. Below is the text version of the summary of experiment and in the link is the version with pictures and results in PDF format (in polish).
On the 31st October 2017 the measurements of the spectrum emitted by the LED flashlight model S9 produced by SMTVEK were taken. The flashlight has XM-L CREE diodes. The technical documentation of the diodes can be found on the website: http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/XLampXML.pdf
The flashlight has 15 diodes. Ten are shinning bright and placed on the outside part whilst five diodes emit weaker, purple-blue light. In the center there is a red laser situated. The flashlight has three lighting modes corresponding the previously enumerated groups of light sources.
The flashlight is powered with three AAA batteries placed in the basket. The measurement of the voltage at the batteries used in the experiment was taken when the experiment was finished. The equivalent voltage of three batteries was equal to 4.1. volt. The measurement was taken with the use of a MU-02D Altron multimeter.
The measurement was taken with the use of two optical spectrometers connected to the computer., The first one was SPECTRA-1 High Resolution Spectrometer produced by KVANT company. Whilst analyzing the data, the software of the producer was used. The second spectrometer was the PASCO PS-2600 SPECTROMETER. Once again, the software of the producer was used.
In both cases the system seen on the photo below was used. Two hydroplanes with installed flashlight and spectrometer entrance were placed on an optical bench. The measurements were taken with lights out and windows covered in order to limit possible distractions.
Measurements with the use of SPECTRA-1 spectrometer
Three measurements series for the first mode were performed with the use of the first device. During the second measurement series a problem with the software occurred which resulted in the graph of the spectrum not getting recorded, During the third series a mechanical problem occurred – the entrance of the spectrometer was incorrectly placed in regard to the flashlight. The first series was performed without any difficulties. 62 photos were taken. The results are in the attached files.
Measurements with the use of PS-2600 spectrometer
Three measurements were taken. Their results are in the attached files. The results are similar to those obtained with the use of the first spectrometer. It proves their correctness.
Lately our team continued working on the probe programme. We are able to record data from GPS and SD card sensors and send them with the use of a USB cable to the computer where the location of the system can be seen. Now, we are working on wireless data sending through LORa radio modules and power supply using Li-Ion accumulators.
On Semptember 29th 2017 we had the pleasure to host Mr. Maciej Jakimiec from the Copernicus Project. Mr. Maciej introduced us to the logistics and ways of organizing stratospheric flights. We have also received an invitation to the next edition of the Near Space Conference which will take place on Saturday, 12th of May 2018. The greatest surprise was the proposition of elite workshops with an American guest of the conference, Bill Brown, who is an icon for, us, Near Space enthusiasts. Since 1987 Bill performed over 500 stratospheric flights. He is the founding father of this field. It was Bill to first launch a camera into the atmosphere, to do the first video transmission, to launch the first spaceship from a balloon platform… It was very nice to meet Mr. Maciej. We are also thankful to Mr. Jakub Zdroik for organizing the meeting at the Univeristy of Gdańsk.